Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Maybe it's not so BAD after all?

As a mother, I find myself wanting to protect my children from what might be considered "pop culture". I know people who don't allow their children to watch television at all, I also know families who send their children to schools that don't allow "character" clothing like spiderman, and such.

However, I have been thinking about the passing of two Pop Culture Icons, Farrah and Michael. As I watch the countless people around the world express their sadness at the loss of these two "characters".. I can't help but wonder... what's so bad about it. I mean, I feel more connected now as I share in the memories of these two personas in my own life with others around me. It feels uniting. I am glad I knew their music/shows. I am glad i have a memory of it.

In the distant future, (I will make it sound like it is light years away) my own children will witness the loss of an image responsible for a memory that I didn't deprive them from creating. (if my children should ever read this post, please allow me to state that none of this applies to the mindless, crude yellow square guy in the pineapple)

No comments:

Post a Comment