Saturday, August 16, 2008

A Passport Virgin

It occurred to me today that although I have had four children, I am still a virgin. A passport virgin. Until May, I had never applied or even considered applying for a passport. Had no interest in venturing THAT far out of town! I thought that it would be a painstaking experience, asking for permission and getting a number assigned to me so that I could go on a journey. Would I be rejected? Can they reject me? Could they say that I can't leave the country because I have four children here who would miss their mommy? Or, is there some unsolved mystery from the past to which my name is connected that could surface and cause some unforseen delay. I planned it all out, picture at kinko's, passport application at the rec center. The most difficult part was getting my hair to fit in that tiny little square that they give you for the picture. It was amazing that within one week, an official looking enevelope arrived in the mail and a day or two later, my passport followed. In just a few weeks, I'll lose my virginity and I suppose some sort of stamp or record of my journey will be imprinted on those pristine pages. Just like the other times virginity is lost, I'm sure it'll lead me to wanting more imprints!

No comments:

Post a Comment